What is a good deed?
His implication; it was good because I didn’t receive anything in return for it. I wasn’t paid. I spent my gas, time, and energy without any tangible benefit to me.
I had spent all day, cleaning and showing a house to potential tenants. It is a really nice home extremely close to the University of Louisville. I enjoyed living there as a student, the home is nicer than when I lived in it. Now students get to derive the same benefits I enjoyed while living there. Were those activities good deeds?
If we are paid for an activity is it no longer a good deed?
In January one of my daughters contracted strep throat. She couldn’t even keep water down. She was extremely dehydrated and had a fever. After four hours in the emergency room she was doing much better.
Was that a good deed the doctor and nurses performed? I was glad to give them some silly green pieces of paper for what they did. It was a very good deed for my family.
Some will say “Yeah, but that is medical; it is different”
So here a few people who have done good deeds for me in the last couple weeks (most of them received green certificates of appreciation) For more info on green certificates of appreciation I recommend reading “Thou Shall Prosper”
- Plumber unclogging a toilet at one of our properties
- The other 7 people who showed up the monthly Small biz meeting
- My wife who prepared dinner 3 times this week
- The cooks, servers, and managers at the restaurants, where I dined
- The contractors helping me renovate a home
- The people at the utility companies that provide me electricity, internet, water, and fire for cooking
- The road crews repairing the roads in West Lafayette so I have a smoother ride to church and daycare
- The people who make the disposable cups I use to hold coffee
- Bill Gates for having the vision to create Microsoft and the slew of programs I use
- People at WordPress who created the CMS that allows me to post these articles with ease
As you can see there have probably been millions of people who have done good deeds from which I benefited from over the last couple of weeks. Each of us specializing allows all of us to benefit. Unless you are a drug dealer, thief, etc.; your specialization is valuable and a good deed. It provides benefits for those who consume your product or service.
Almost all of us are doing good deeds when we work. I don’t have to do something for free for it to be my good deed for the day. My days are filled with doing good deeds. Whether spending time with my wife and children, preparing the books for a business, managing our rentals, or writing these articles. “It is all good” Be proud of your good deeds today!!!
Who has done a good deed for you today?